Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Apps A-Z: OverDrive

With a few weeks left of summer how many of you have gone into overdrive? I know I have! Don't you wish there was an app for that?  Today's  app in my Apps: A-Z series just happens to be  titled  OverDrive, and if you like to relax with a good book then, this may just be the app that helps you kick the overdrive feeling that tends to take over many of us teachers during this time of year. 

OverDrive is a digital lending library that allows you to check out e-books from your public library. I've been using it for about two years now and love it! It is so convenient. I can check books out with my library card, read them and return them all with the click of a mouse. If I forget to return it, no worries it will be automatically turned in for me. Overdrive does need to be the management system for e-books your library uses. However, if your public library doesn't use OverDrive or the book collection is not appealing to you, you may want to look into becoming a non-resident member of another library. OverDrive also manages libraries for schools. Our school district does not use OverDrive. Have you used OverDrive? Does your school use OverDrive? 

Earlier this summer I had the chance to hop aboard the Digital Bookmobile powered by Overdrive! The bookmobile travels the US helping people learn to use their digital library no matter what device they may have. I was amazed at all of the different devices; some I hadn't heard of! Visitors were encouraged to bring their own device or use one of the many devices on the truck. Click here to see if this Digital Bookmobile will be in your area any time soon. You can also search for libraries using OverDrive in your area. 


When the Back-to-School overdrive feeling begins to takeover turn to "Digital Overdrive" for some R & R:) Have a great day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment